CARING FOR YOUR FURNITURE
We recommend the following principles are followed when caring for your furniture:
- Do not sit on the arms of lounges or any adjustable headrests
- Do not sit on coffee tables
- Do not swing on the back legs of dining chairs
- Make sure that direct sunlight is not in contact with your furniture as prolonged exposure will fade or discolour it.
LEATHER CARE AND MAINTENANCE
The inherent beauty of leather is caused by variations in grain, texture, colour tones and its natural characteristics which contribute to the uniqueness of each upholstered leather product. It is important to be aware of the conditions that can be detrimental to leather; namely heat, moisture and direct sunlight.
Direct exposure to sunlight will cause leather to fade and may also cause excessive drying. If your leather is exposed it will likely need to be conditioned more often, however this will not prevent fading, and it should be conditioned brand new as a preventative measure. We recommend a 2 in 1 protector and cleaner or our Guardsman extend warranties, which have a five year product warranty. Their warranty includes an in-home service, cleaning and repairs for incidents covered under the warranty period.
For lounges in a lighter leather colour, maintenance and cleaning must be kept up to prolong the colour and prevent staining or colour transfer from any upholstery and clothing, such as cushions, throw, jeans etc. Leather cleaning, conditioning and protecting is recommended a minimum of once every three months depending on the wear and usage of your lounge. We recommend the following:
- Wipe down your lounge once every couple of weeks with a clean and slightly damp microfiber cloth, to help remove any loose dust or grime.
- Deep cleaning is recommended once every three months. Give you leather lounge a deep clean to remove any built up dirt and perspiration from your grain of leather. Do one section of the lounge or chair at a time, with a leather conditioner, protector or a leather care kit. DO NOT spray the cleaner directly onto the leather; instead always dampen a cloth first, then spray the product on to the cloth to clean the lounge. Keep the cloth damp with the cleaner as required.
- After deep cleaning, always use a leather moisturiser to protect your lounge or chair. This will keep your leather soft, supple and conditioned for the flexing which is required in upholstery. This will also help to bring back any moisture that may have been lost if exposed to direct sunlight. Always leave the lounge to dry naturally and thoroughly before reuse. The best time to clean leather is late in the afternoon, or when you know you won’t been using the item for a while. This will help to let the product dry/ soak in overnight.
VENEER AND NATURAL TIMBER FINISHES
All veneer and natural timber finishes will show distinctive markings, patterns and colour variations within any of the products. Always use coasters or place mats when using the table e.g. placing glasses, plates, bottles or cups on the surface; just a tablecloth is not sufficient. When the table is not in use, ensure its surface is clear as the sun can cause bleaching if in direct sunlight. Regularly clean the surface by wiping it with a non-abrasive, damp cloth or micro fibre cloth. Any liquid spills should be wiped clean immediately to prevent staining.
LACQUERED / TWO PAC FINISHES
Always use coasters or place mats when using the table e.g. placing glasses, plates, bottles or cups on the surface; just a tablecloth is not sufficient. When the table is not in use, ensure its surface is clear as the sun can cause bleaching if in direct sunlight. Regularly clean the surface by wiping it with a non-abrasive, warm damp cloth or micro fibre cloth. Any liquid spills should be wiped clean immediately to prevent staining. Products containing Silicon compounds should be avoided as they can imbed themselves in the chemical structure of the polyurethane coating.
RUG CLEANING AND CARE
Vacuum regularly to reduce the abrasive action of soil and grit from the pile. A good quality vacuum cleaner is recommended to remove dust and dirt from a shag pile/ high pile rug. Clean spills immediately – prompt removal of stains/ soil marks is necessary to maintain your rugs appearance. If stains are not dealt with immediately they may become permanent. Never rub or scrub a spill as it will lead to permanent pile damage. Scoop up any solids before cleaning. Blot liquids with a dry, absorbent cloth or paper towel. Some stains can be cleaned with a mild, clear detergent and lukewarm water. If the stain cannot be removed, seek specialist advise. Do not machine wash. Try to have your rugs professionally cleaned at least once every 6-12 months, using a professional carpet/ rug cleaner. Professional cleaning should be carried out only by a reputable company, and they should avoid using any shampoos or cleaners with a spirit base.
CUSHION FABRIC CARE AND PROTECTION
The fabric has been treated with a water repellent. This means that if your outdoor lounge is exposed to rain, the rain will penetrate the fabric slowly. When you have excessive amounts of water hitting the surface, most drops will bounce/ slip off. This prolongs the wear of the material, and will help to protect and reduce wear of the fabric. Cushions are suggested to be taken into storage during rainy days, or a protective cover should be used to extend the life of your outdoor furniture when it is not in use.
If you need any further assistance on maintaining your products or have any general questions in please contact Design Initial QLD Customer Service on (07) 3854 1688 or email [email protected].